Thursday, June 30, 2011

Airport Check-in: Done

I'm sitting at my airport gate with emotions a-plenty. From the moment I got out of the car and hugged my mom goodbye, it sunk in (finally) that I won't be home for a while. Feelings of anxiety and "what the hell did I get myself into", partially only subsided by the Xanax that I took for that very reason. My checked baggage was too heavy. They measure in kilos so I'm not sure how much I was over, but it cost me $85. Ouch. There was no other option, but it confirmed my suspicion that I over-packed.

My morning started with a cup of coffee in the early AM Seattle sun (this is a rarity, in case you didn't know) and basked in the reality that everything I know is about to change. I put my final touches on packing and went with my mom to get a pedicure (our "us" time, and very suiting for the final hours). I've had the nerves since I woke up, but they really set in when I walked into the airport and away from my home. I tried to take deep breaths and keep tears from pouring from my eyes (I kept reminding myself that raccoon eyes look good on no one), and slowly but surely some of that subsided - - again, partially or majorly thanks to Xanax. My stomach feels upset and topsy turvy, but once I'm on the plane, I plan to pop a Dramamine and sleep it out. I will be arriving in Reykjavik, Iceland at 6:45 AM (obviously local time), although it will be late night to me. I'm hoping the excitement can hold me over for my 2.5 hour flight to Paris from there!! I can't imagine arriving in Paris and it feels all too-weird.

Today has just been surreal, so it's hard to even imagine the next few days when I'm overtaken with a new culture, a new place, and a new life. Fingers crossed and prayers said.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to read your post from the airport. I was hoping you could find wifi.
    I can't believe your overstuffed bag cost $85. Yikes.
    Ethan fell asleep in his playroom on his bean bag before 9pm tonight. I have never seen that in 10 years. It's really quiet around here.
    I'll save your blog as a favorite and will anxiously await more posts.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete