Thursday, February 12, 2009

Can I please be an EXPAT???

So Bobby got word from his friend Jason today. For those of you who don't know, Jason is an old supervisor of Bobby's when he worked at Circuit City and he recently left for Singapore on contract for a spiffy new job. Bobby heard that it was a possibility that they would be needing more people to go over there and work and since Jason knows what a "smart cookie" Bobs is, he said he would keep him in mind. Well ever since the news first hit that it was a "possible" possibility, I've been jumping with excitement at the idea of moving all the way around the world to a foreign country for 2 years, which is how long the contract would be. At first Bobby didn't consider it right away because he didn't think I would want to go with him, but once he found out that I was also excited (which took 5 minutes of looking the country up online) we were hooked on going. Ever since then we have looked at pictures, places to live, information on how to move there, etc. Finally since Jason has been over there, Bobby got an email from him today! He said it is wonderful and he loves it and that they will probably be looking for other people to work on contract over the next month or two. Bobby has to probably get some sort of certification before he has a good chance of getting the job and the certification is most definitely expensive, BUT we really want to make this whole thing work.





Here are some views of the gorgeous country!








Everything is very modern over there....the toilets, the wood floors, the balconies...all are so beautiful....
And because the country is only about 270 square miles, all of their buildings are very tall, and apartments are all built up and not spread out like here...




It is known for being super clean, it has a strict government, but has a predominately English language. The other language there is Mandarin and most of the people there are of Asian origin. The country itself is south of Malaysia and just 1 degree north of the equator. After looking up some climate information I discovered that it is very very humid, which will SUCK for my hair, and since it's surrounded by the ocean, it's seasons are determined by monsoons. This means it rains there...A LOT! Don't get me wrong, I love the rain, and the country from what I've seen is very warm, which I love, but my hair will be so frizzy and curly. Most people who live there probably have stick straight, thin hair and will be surprised when they see the mess on my head. Hopefully it won't break some "Cleanliness/Tidiness" law! That would be so embarrassing!! Not that it is likely, but lately I am just wondering about all of the little things that will really be so different from what I am used to.

It's hard to say for sure though, that I am 100 % excited about this opportunity...I mean, I have a wonderful family here who I am so very close with. I have a 7 year old brother who will be almost 10 when I get home, a 4 year old brother who will be 7 and a 1.5 year old nephew who will be pushing 4...These things will be tough on me, but I have only one chance to do something so crazy and off the wall. I would have never expected that this could even be possible. After being presented with such a risk, it is hard to say no, since I am attracted to risks and their dangers. I would not want to look back on this in 5-10 years and say, "Wow, I really could have gone to Singapore and lived this really cool, different life for a couple of years." Who knows the things I will see or do, and the people I will meet! This could open up a ton of doors for me. Who knows, maybe I could even go to school there on scholarship, since I will be an American, and considered a minority. Minorities get all the funding here...I wonder if it works the same way there. I would be so delighted! Anyway... I was just so antsy I couldn't resist another post tonight...Which is good, because it got me tired : D

*G'Night*

No comments:

Post a Comment