Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Say A Little Prayer for You

So today I had an interview at a chiropractic clinic! I found out about it yesterday and actually heard it was a Physical Therapy clinic, which didn't help much when I got lost and couldn't find the "PT" clinic. I showed up right on the nose of the time I was supposed to be there which of course made me nervous through the first 30 minutes. I don't think I've ever been so nervous in an interview! Anyway, I got a call a few hours later, after some housecleaning and serious nail-biting (not literally -ew) and the doctor told me that he and his wife who own the clinic together liked me, and I will start tomorrow! I did my happy dance and even screamed as soon as we got off the phone! I hope I hung up!! Lol. So I wore black slacks, a green silk blouse, high heels, and a silver cross with a tasteful pair of earrings and a watch (which unfortunetly failed me when it came to being early). So in the spirit of interviews and a job well-done, I decided to post some frequently asked interview questions...I starred the ones that were similar to what I had to answer and even put a brief "blah blah blah" of what I said!

1. Why did you leave your last job? **
I had a pretty good reason actually. My place of employment started failing horribly at bringing in customers because Circuit City sucks and Verizon didn't know when to say when. (that was not verbatim at all)

2. Tell me a little about yourself?
(Glad this wasn't asked because sometimes I don't know when to shut up)

3. What do you know about this organization? **
It was actually what do you know about a chiropractic office, and my answer was limited. However I did remember some stuff about the readjustment of babies' spines and how it helped with their Ear Nose and Throat issues, which seemed to a sufficient answer and had enough of tid-bit knowledge to impress

4. What do you look for in a boss? **
I answered honestly that I dislike being micormanaged, and sadly that was a poor answer because what do you know, the owner is a micro-manager. Fortunetly he said he only does this when his employees can't seem to cut the mustard. I highly doubt that he will have any such problem with me.

5. What are your strengths and weaknesses? **
God, I hate this question. Please, God, make every employer who has ever asked this question to STOP asking this question! I can talk all day long about my strengths, and although I'm not flawless, I have no idea how to respond to the "weakness" portion of this question.

6. Tell me about when you resolved an important dillema at work.

7. How do you handle constructive criticism? **
Obviously, I will feel like I disappointed someone, and that is never a good feeling, but I will ask how I can do a better job in the future and consider that my boss knows more about the position than I do, and to look at it positively and as a learning experience. Total cheese answer.

8. What has been your greatest work disappointment?

9. Why do you think you'd be a good fit for this position?

10. Do you have any questions for me? **
I always like to answer this question with an "actually, yes I do." Usually it's something trivial and as quick to answer as it is to ask, such as "how many people do you currently have on the staff". I think this always look good because it shows the possible employer that not only are you interested in getting a job, you are interested in the position.

I was also asked how I would respond in certain scenarios and this seemed to be the place where my colors really shined because apparently the girl they have now is really struggling with some of the appropriate responses to real-life situations. Luckily I have worked in a clinic before and have experience not only dealing with patients but also to some very similar office scenarios that popped up.

Now, I am no interview expert, see my response to #4 and how it backfired, but I tried to appear as confident as possible and when the interviewer(s) were saying they hated turnover and had been fooled before, I reassured them with "I hate being in between jobs and really hope to find a home in my next position. I plan to stay somewhere for years to come." Also, instead of just answering question after question, I like to work in a little bit about myself, such as a brief description of my family background, usually something that paints me in a good light. I never really lie in an interview. It would be a very negative way to start off a new job, especially if you plan to get to know your coworkers and employers on a personal level. But, I'm also never brutally honest about certain things, such as: a weakness of mine is that I'm perpetually 5 minutes late. Truth is, I am a hard worker and I have almost always exceeded the expectations of my employers. I hope this work ethic continues to improve and grow as time goes on and as I gain more and more experience.

Overall, I am dancing on the inside that I have a new job and I know it has everything to do with the hundred mini-prayers I've been saying inside my head all day. I can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning to put on my scrubs and drive to my new job!

All the wishing and hoping and praying has paid off and I feel such a sigh of relief and a grand sense of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment