Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The "Annual"


Saw my OB-Gyn today. Actually I saw a new Doc because at the office I've gone to for the past 3 years, I've yet to meet the actual Doctor - - they always send in the nurse practitioner who wanted to compare tattoos and piercings while condoning ecstasy (yes the drug) as a sex-drive enhancement!! Anyway, they never offered me the birth control I wanted, they only wanted to prescribe the brands from the pharmaceutical companies they had aligned themselves with. Frustrating mostly, because I wanted something seasonal, which gives me only 4 periods a year. That's my personal preference and I should be able to make that decision. There were also other areas that I felt they were lacking in: hardly any available appointment times (I had to book at least 9 months in advance!), little patient-doctor interaction, and the longest wait times ever.


So today I was finally able to see a doctor and I also was able to talk with her about some recent concerns. She really took the time to listen and had some really good ideas about certain things that have been going on. (Mainly frequent bladder infections). I got an HPV vaccination. Mainly as a precaution. I love my boyfriend and I trust him, but better safe than sorry because who really knows what the future will hold?? That's what my doctor said anyway...


These appointments are dreaded by so many women. I have a friend who feels like she's being taken advantage of at every appointment (no, she has no sexual molestation in her past, she is just really fearful of these exams). I am not that bad. I get in, I get out. I look up at the ceiling and count the speckles trying to ignore what's going on down there. Sure it is uncomfortable...as for all women, but I'm a true believer that these appointments are important to a woman's health! And honestly, I feel like my doctor gave me some really useful and helpful information.




No comments:

Post a Comment